Lessons of English. Lesson 2 (Part 2). Work and employment.

 


5. Complete each sentence with a word from the box

        call       draw               fall                  get                   take                come               face                 fill                   go                    turn

a)      I think we should…… go……. over our plan again before we tell the managing director.

b)      Have you ………….up with any ideas for advertising the new products?

c)      Our deal with the Chinese company may ……………………………..through, but we can sell the machinery to the German firm if necessary.

d)     You have to ………………… in this form, and return it to the manager.

e)      She didn’t ………………… on with her boss, so she left the company.

f)       If they don’t give us a better price, we sill ………………down their offer.

g)      I’m afraid we have to …………..  up to the fact that we are losing money.

h)      Our lawyers are going to ………………up a new contract tomorrow.

i)        A multinational company is trying to ………………. over our firm, but we want to stay independent.

j)        We had to ……………….. off the office party because of the economic situation.

 

 

6. Complete each sentence (a-h) with a suitable ending (1-8). Use each ending once.

a) if you work hard, the company will give you ……………………..

b) in a different job I could get a higher ……………………………

 c) The best way to find new staff is to put a/an …………………………

d) Because he had stolen the money, we decided that ………………………

e) She has a pleasant personality but hasn’t got the right ……………

f) In the meeting we are going to discuss the ………………….

g) I think it would be a good idea to send in your …………………..

h) We cannot give you the job without ……………………

 

1.      qualifications for a job of this kind.

2.      advertisement in the local press on Friday.

3.      application for the job ass soon as possible.

4.      promotion to a more responsible position.

5.      references from your previous employer.

6.      Dismissing him was the only possible action we could take.

7.      Salary and better conditions of employment.

8.      Appointment of a new sales representative.

7. Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits in the space in the same line

Leaving a job

I recently left my job in an …advertising… agency                          ADVERTISEMENT.

After a disagreement with my boss. She accepted my (2)               RESIGN

……………. But warned me that because of the (3)…….             ECONOMY

……. Situation, I might have to get used to the idea of being

(4) ……………….. for a while. I thought that she was trying        EMPLOY

to make a point, but after I had made over fifty (5)…………        APPLY

……. to other companies, I realized that she was right. Although

I am …………… designer, I didn’t receive any offers of a job.     QUALIFICATIONS

After that I tried working from home, but it was not very (7).        PROFIT

…………… Then I became an (8) ………………. in a fast-          EMPLOY

food restaurant, even though my (9) …………. were extremely     EARN

low. I wish I had accepted early ……………………… from         RETIRE

my old job. That is what I disagreed with my boss about!

 

Correct answers:

5.  a – go,        b – come,        c – fall,           d – fill,            e – get,            f – turn,

g – face,          h –draw,        i – take,          j – call.

 

6. a – 4, b -7, c – 2, d – 6 , e – 1, f – 8, g – 3, h – 5

 

7.  1) – advertising, 2) – resignation, 3) – economic, 4) – unemployed, 5) – application, 6) qualified, 7) – profitable, 8) –employee, 9) – earnings, 10) – retirement.


#Englishlessons #lessonsofEnglish #English

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Lesson 9(vocabulary). Crime and the law. (Part 1).

Lesson 10 (vocabulary). Entertainment and the arts (part 2).

Lesson 8 (vocabulary). Shops and shopping (part 2).