Lesson 8. (vocabulary). Shops and shopping. (part 1)



1.       Underline the most suitable word or phrase.

a)      That new clothes shop has a lot of very good bargains/sales.

b)      On Saturday morning the High Street is full of customer/shoppers.

c)       It costs £9, so give her £10, and she’ll give you £1 change/rest.

d)      I don’t go to that supermarket because it’s a bit priced/pricey.

e)      You cannot return goods without the original recipe/receipt.

f)       Supasoft Soaps are for sale/on sale here.

g)      A carrier bag is free with each buyer/purchase

h)      If you pay cash, we can give you a 10 per cent cutting/discount.

i)        How much did you pay/spend for your new shoes?

j)        This is a good shoe shop, but the costs/prices are very high.

 

2.       Rewrite each sentence so that it includes the word given in capitals.

a)      I can’t manage to see what the price is. Let’s ask inside.                     MAKE

…………………………………………………………………………………………………….

b)      Is this coat the right size?                                                                                  TRY

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

c)       Two masked men robbed the supermarket yesterday                        HELD

………………………………………………………………………………………..

d)      You need a new coat. Your old one is too small.                                      GROWN

……………………………………………………………………………………….

e)      I’ve been shopping all morning. I feel exhausted.                                  WORN

……………………………………………………………………………………..

f)       I’ll come and collect the goods on Thursday.                                            PICK

………………………………………………………………………………………

g)      Sorry, we don’t have any bread left.

…………………………………………………………………………………….                         RUN

h)      Are you going to the chemist’s?

……………………………………………………………………………………                          CALLING

i)        I don’t like supermarkets. I can’t bear the queues.

………………………………………………………………………………….                            PUT

j)        I don’t know whether to buy this car. I’ll consider it.

……………………………………………………………………………………..                       OVER

3.       Complete each sentence with a word from the box. Use each word once only.

 

change                deliver                 find                       fit           go           help      order                    pay                        queue                 serve    try          wrap

a)      You have to … queue………for ages to pay in this supermarket.

b)      In the London area, we ……………… furniture free of charge in our van.

c)       The trousers I bought are the wrong size. I’d like to ………………….. them.

d)      Could somebody ……………………. me, please? I’ve been waiting for ten minutes.

e)      Is this a present? Would you like me to …………………. It for you?

f)       I like the colour of this skirt, but it doesn’t ………………………. me.

g)      Good morning, madam. Can I…………… you?

h)      We don’t have your size at the moment, but we can …………… it for you.

i)        Can you ………………. at the other cash desk, please.

j)        Would you like to ……………….. on this green pair?

k)      I went shopping but couldn’t ………….. exactly what I wanted.

l)        Food is so expensive now. Prices seem to …………………. up all the time.

.

Correct answers

1.       a) bargains                         b) shoppers                       c) change            d) pricey              e) receipt            f) on sale                            g) purchase                       h) discount         i) pay                    j) prices

2.       a)………… b) Can I try it on?         c) Two masked men held up the supermarket yesterday.            d)You have grown out of your old one.               e) I feel worn out.          f) I’ll come and pick up the goods on Thursday.                              g)Sorry, we have run out of bread.        h) Are you calling (in) the chemist?         I) I can’t put up with the queues.               J) I’ll think it over.

3.       a) queue             b) deliver             c) change            d) serve                               e) wrap                               f) fit       g) help                 h) order               i) pay                    j) try      k) find                  l) go


Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Lesson 9(vocabulary). Crime and the law. (Part 1).

Lesson 10 (vocabulary). Entertainment and the arts (part 2).

Lesson 8 (vocabulary). Shops and shopping (part 2).